Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rick Ross Committed To The Mixtapes, Gears Up For Deeper Than Rap LP


Even with a million albums sold, Miami native, Rick Ross, still treats the mixtape hustle as if it was lane he's never seen before. Recently, Ross and Atlanta's youngest DJ, DJ Infamous, paired up for the street effort, "Still The Trillest" in which Ross flexes his lyrical abilities over a bevy of relevant instrumentals.
Clearly, The Boss's reception to the hip hop's favorite past time isn't in question, but more so why Ross felt the need to keep the mixtapes in crystal clear view. “That’s something I believe that we have to inform the streets on", Ross told BET.com over the phone. "We have to make sure the next dudes that are following in our footsteps know that regardless if you sold two or three million records, you gotta still have love for the sport."
Even when "Here I Am", Ross's most relevant single to date, was scattered throughout urban radio and video outlets, Ross still felt it was necessary that the streets new his love for the sport was authentic. Ross explained, "You have to keep the sport energized and vibrant; that’s what we did with my tape. Just coming off the record, “Here I Am”, that was still heavy and we just took time out and did it for the fans cause we love what we do.”
Though the heavy set Master of Ceremonies may have an undying love for the mixtape craft, the boss still has his eyes set on the mainstream prize. "Deeper Than Rap", Rick's third solo effort, is on tap to change the way we view Ross as an individual and as an artist. "'Deeper Than Rap' is letting everyone know that I’m bigger than a verse, I’m bigger than a record; it’s a lot more than what you see," the rapper revealed. "I’m going somewhere musically where no one has ever gone."
And judging by his banter, Ross has clearly thought out the necessary steps in order to be pegged as one of the greats. "I feel this is going to be the album where I break away from any comparisons. There are no comparisons. I am the boss and I’m flexing it with the records that I’m orchestrating", a lively spirited Ross asserted.
To make things more interesting, The Boss has even recruited an unfamiliar candidate for some of the sound scape on the revealing, "Deeper Than Rap" set, "Just to sit down with TI and get production from him as a producer; that’s a big move. As an artist, the sh*t I pulled together for “Maybach Music 2”, I’m changing the game.”
"Deeper Than Rap" is slated to hit stores later this year.